Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Dark Knight freaked me out

Whoa! Saw The Dark Knight this past weekend. Still a little bit haunted.

Heath Ledger might have played the scariest villain ever. Or was that the devil himself? Not sure. It was a film that begged for the dawn to break and after waiting and hoping and waiting and hoping, it never came. Even as all of your pent up nerves were shot as the Joker toyed with one victim after the other, the hoped for dawn never brightened the horizon.

Having said that - Ledger certainly stole the show and his performance alone was worth the price of admission. Not only did he play this role with absolute brilliance, he was one of the first ever "believable" villains in a comic book movie. No cheese. Just a really evil bad guy with no conscience in sight. Just looking for as much mass destruction as possible.

So with this brilliant performance, a "believable" bad guy, and a decent plot - what more can you ask for? Well for me I am looking for, even expecting, that the dawn will finally break, but that never came. Maybe I am getting old or I watch too many episodes of The Berenstain Bears, but I only get the feeling that another villain is being hatched elsewhere as the Joker hangs from the rafters. Evil is never totally vanquished. That's probably how Hollywood studios like it, and to a certain degree I think this movie (in it's darkened state) was an apt portrayal and commentary on the culture of death that surrounds us. Except that in this movie people seemed to be fed up with crime and death (even wanting the vigilante Batman to be brought to justice), which, unfortunately, is a little bit more than we often see around us here in the real world.

As a Christian I now have a new picture of the devil (when I need to conjure one up) and also a greater hope to live for heaven - our promised home that is being prepared for us beyond this "valley of tears." At least I can take that away from this latest superhero movie to weasel money out of my pocket (on opening night of all nights).

No comments: